Liberty Island Museum
A New Way to Experience History
In the fall of 2016, the next step in Lady Liberty’s great legacy was announced—the construction of the brand-new Statue of Liberty Museum. When this new museum opened, it was the most monumental addition to Liberty Island since the Statue herself. More than that, it has allowed millions more visitors to enjoy the Statue of Liberty experience and be inspired by her history and message of freedom and opportunity. The Museum opened May 16, 2019.
The pre-existing museum inside the monument could only accommodate a fraction of the Island’s visitors. A reimagined Statue of Liberty Museum, accessible and free to all, now welcomes every visitor and greatly improved the Lady Liberty experience.
For the first time since September 11, 2001, every visitor has the opportunity to experience meaningful artifacts and discover a deeper understanding of Lady Liberty’s history and what she stands for. In addition, the museum creates a beautiful, new destination on Liberty Island and greatly enhances the overall visitor educational experience. Increased security measures and the resulting visitor quotas have created severe restrictions on the number of people allowed to enter the monument. This means access to the museum in the pedestal of the Statue has been significantly limited. In fact, 80% of the over 4.3 million visitors are unable to enter the historic pedestal and visit the Statue’s Museum. These visitors don’t have the chance to fully interact with and learn about this beloved icon through the collection of educational exhibits. The new Statue of Liberty Museum now allows for universal access without restrictive security clearances.
The Statue of Liberty Museum Mission
- Create a new cultural attraction and more engaging tour at Liberty Island.
- Enhance access and educational content for school groups that tour annually.
- Foster a sense of inclusion for all visitors, regardless of physical limitations.
- Offer a venue to enjoy performances and events hosted at the flag plaza.
- Preserve existing open spaces for public enjoyment.
- The new Statue of Liberty Museum is a celebrated venue designed to engage visitors through state-of-the-art experiential exhibits, as well as a significant collection of cultural artifacts previously seen by few.
- Collaborative efforts with the National Park Service/U.S. Department of the Interior, architecture firm FX Collaborative and ESI Design have led to the execution of this ambitious plan.
According to principles established by the National Park Service, new development must respect and defer to both the Statue herself, and the natural majesty of the setting. With these unique regulations and the challenges of working on an island, Liberty Elevator was excited to once again be called to Liberty Island to assist in the development of the Museum and to further deliver vertical transportation solutions for the entirety of Liberty Islands.
Liberty Elevator Corporation, Elevators that Move You
Learn more about the Statue Of Liberty Museum Link
Make plans to visit the Statue Of Liberty Link